Since hitting a major fitness kick in January, I have tried to incorporate new things in to my workouts. However, there is one thing that I tried to avoid like the plague.....
RUNNING
Since I can remember, I have always HATED running. I remember being forced to run that awful "Turkey Trot" in grade school. When you hit junior high and it becomes an optional thing, my parents (really just my dad) made us run it. In the summer, while most kids were sleeping in, my dad had us up by 6:30am to go out and exercise. I freaking HATED it! To pass my Freshman PE class, I had to run a mile in 15 minutes. My time was 14:59. I was one of those that would run if there were people around and then as soon as I passed them, or the cars passed, I would stop. So seriously, not my cup of tea.
I started taking spin classes in January and totally fell in love! I strongly believe that was a huge part of my success in losing half of the 30 pounds I gained. However, June came around and I was getting bored with my routine. It was time for a change. Of course, the one thing I hadn't tried was running. I reluctantly tried it. My first try at running 1 mile turned out to a 16 minute mile. Ya, BAD! But, before I knew it, I was hooked! Each time I'd go to run, I was trying to get less and less time in my mile.
Before I knew it, I was down to a 10 minute mile and was feeling good. Well a month ago, Tejay's boss at the gym told me she was putting together a group to run a 5k in October and asked if I would be interested in joining. Feeling the pressure, I accepted. So now here I am, totally enjoying improving my running and so excited for my first 5K.
Today, I did a "Mock 5K" to see how long it would take me to run. I did it in 38 minutes. I was so proud of myself. I'm already itching to get back to the gym and see if I can knock it down to 35 minutes.
It's seriously so crazy! If you had told me 3 months ago that I would be running a 5K in October, I would have laughed at you. But here I sit so excited and loving it! Running is seriously my new addiction!




No comments:
Post a Comment